Thursday, February 3, 2011

Finding the venue, Part II

First, let me say how sorry I am for my recent absence and lack of updates!  I've been a busy, busy girl!  I'll do my very best to keep the posts coming!

When we left off I was a bride without a venue, and planning time was flying by...

Well, after my first major bridal meltdown (and I mean MAJOR) my mom was the one who kept things on track, or rather got things back on track.

As I was more or less throwing my hands in the hair in desperation, my mom convinced me to give her the phone numbers of all the venues that I had looked at online before deciding on the 3 that we had visited.

She told me she would call some places and report back to me.  In my terribly negative mood I was convinced that she would find everyone was booked, or too small for our guest list.

Well, little did I know that everything was about to fall right into place.  As my mom says it was "a God thing."  My mom called me and told me that she thought she had found the perfect reception venue.  I of course, stuck in my negativity, was suspicious.

The first (and as it turns out, only) place that she called was The First Lady of Suffolk.  As she talked to Mickey, one of the owners, she began to feel that this was where Joe and I were supposed to have our reception.

She found out that we could meet with them that night to see the venue, and discuss all the details with them.  She also found out that July 31 was the only Saturday they had open all summer.  It certainly felt like things were pointing toward this being the place for us, but I still wasn't convinced.

That evening my mom, Joe and I went to The First Lady to meet with the two owners, Mickey and Jen.  They were fantastic and we fell in love with the venue.  We also felt so comfortable with Mickey and Jen and came away feeling that they would do everything in their power to make our venue everything we wanted and more.

As it turned out, I was so happy that we ended up at The First Lady.  I had originally wanted a unique, out of the box venue, but had more or less settled for the hotel.  As it turned out, that falling through was one of the best things that could have happened.

I absolutely LOVED working with Mickey and Jen and I LOVED our reception venue.  I loved that the historic mansion allowed the party to spill from inside, out onto the porch, and then out onto the lawn.


So, after my Bridal Meltdown, I had an amazing venue, and was so glad that our first venue didn't work out!

What what was your biggest Bridal Meltdown about?  How did you find your venue?

1 comment:

  1. It looks like everything worked out beautifully! I also had a "mini" meltdown over venue selection, when our guest list went from the estimated 125, to the actual 193. Panic set in!
    I went back to the drawing board and called a couple of places that I originally thought wouldn't work. I hadn't even called La Provence previously, since I was sure they were out of our budget. Guess what! Totally a God thing: not only were they in our price range, they were, by far, the least expensive option of everywhere we contacted. They had a Saturday available in late April, they gave us a discount since we are bringing in our own desert, etc... Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete